- Music of the Whole World: free lecture-performance series presented at the Vancouver Public Library and other venues (see our Events page for details of upcoming presentations)
- Music of the Whole World: Junior Edition: “introduction to intercultural music” concerts for elementary school students
- Professional development workshops for established musicians and composers, on topics such as “Bridging the Aural-Written Divide”
- Sounds Global Composers’ Workshop for aspiring composers pursuing studies at the high school and post-secondary level
- NEW in 2017: the VICO Summer Academy
UPCOMING PROGRAMS (2016/17 Season)
SOUNDS GLOBAL COMPOSERS WORKSHOP – Various Locations
These workshops, offered in North Vancouver and Surrey for 2016/17, are designed to introduce composers to traditional instruments from all over the world. Registered participants are encouraged to bring sketches of works in progress for these instruments, to be workshopped by VICO musicians over the course of 2 sessions (see dates below). Some finished new works will then be performed at “Sounds Global in Concert” during the VICO’s 2016/17 season. NOTE: Interested composers who do not wish to have a piece workshopped may audit any session free of charge. For detailed background information about traditional instruments presented in this program, click here.
VICO SUMMER ACADEMY
June 24 – July 1, 2017
Application details available now!
The VICO Summer Academy is an innovative educational initiative, implemented in partnership with Capilano University’s Bachelor of Music Transfer program, which brings emerging young composers and musicians together with professional artists to acquire hands-on experience in creating and performing intercultural music. Participants will have the opportunity to learn from and work alongside professional VICO musicians and composers, acquiring new knowledge about orchestration, instrumental techniques (in particular for traditional non-Western instruments that may be unfamiliar to them), improvisation, intercultural ensemble skills and rehearsal methodologies.