- Music of the Whole World: free lecture-performance series presented at the Vancouver Public Library and other venues (see our Events page for details of upcoming presentations)
- Music of the Whole World: Junior Edition: “introduction to intercultural music” concerts for elementary school students
- Professional development workshops for established musicians and composers, on topics such as “Bridging the Aural-Written Divide”
- Sounds Global Composers’ Workshop for aspiring composers pursuing studies at the high school and post-secondary level
- NEW in 2017: the VICO Summer Academy
UPCOMING PROGRAMS (2017/18 Season)
SOUNDS GLOBAL COMPOSERS’ WORKSHOPS
These workshops, offered in Vancouver for 2017/18 (with associated concert performances in North Vancouver and Surrey), are designed to introduce composers to traditional instruments from all over the world. Registered participants are encouraged to bring sketches of works in progress for these instruments, to be workshopped by VICO musicians over the course of 3 or 4 sessions (see links below). Some finished new works will then be performed at “Sounds Global in Concert” events in Surrey and North Vancouver during the VICO’s 2017/18 season.
In 2017/18 we are pleased to offer two workshop series, each featuring a different combination of instruments:
- Intercultural TRIO (erhu, santur, cello): Nov. 4, Dec. 9, Jan. 13, Feb. 10 with concert performance in Surrey
- Intercultural QUARTET (viola, clarinet/tárogatò, oud, santur): Dec. 9, Jan. 13, Feb. 10 with concert performance in North Vancouver
Details and registration information available via the links above. Composers are welcome to register for both workshop series if interested.
VICO SUMMER ACADEMY
Venue & registration details TBA
The VICO Summer Academy is an innovative educational initiative that brings emerging young composers and musicians together with professional artists to acquire hands-on experience in creating and performing intercultural music, over the course of a 1-week intensive. Participants will have the opportunity to learn from and work alongside professional VICO musicians and composers, acquiring new knowledge about orchestration, instrumental techniques (in particular for traditional non-Western instruments that may be unfamiliar to them), improvisation, intercultural ensemble skills and rehearsal methodologies.