Sounds Global Composers’ Workshop 2023
DThe Vancouver Inter-Cultural Orchestra is pleased to present the tennth annual edition of this innovative workshop series. Led by VICO Artistic Director Mark Armanini and Composer-in-Residence Farshid Samandari, the series offers composers unique opportunities to learn about and write for traditional instruments from all over the world. Registered participants are encouraged to bring sketches of works in progress for the instruments listed, to be workshopped by VICO musicians over the course of 3 sessions. Workshop sessions will take place in person, however online applicants are also welcomed. All pieces will receive a final public performance, and composers will receive an archival recording.
Intercultural Wind Quintet:
- Flute/alto/piccolo/bass flute
- Oboe/oboe d’amore/English horn
- Clarinet/bass clarinet
- Persian ney (different tunings)
For background information about traditional instruments presented in this program, please visit https://vi-co.org/resources-study/instrument-corner/.
Session #1 (ONLINE): Composition Masterclass: Instrumentation May 7, 2023 |11:00 am – 1:00 pm
Session #2: Workshop with full ensemble. May 21, 2023 | 11:00 am – 2:00 pm
Session #3: Workshop with full ensemble. June 11, 2023 | 11:00 am – 2:00 pm
Session #4: Workshop with full ensemble. June 25, 2023 | 11:00 am – 2:00 pm
Concert: July 1 2023 – 7:30 pm St. Andrews United Church, 1044 St Georges Ave, North Vancouver, BC
Application Procedure & Registration Fee
Participating composers must register by May 5, 2023. See details below; priority will be given to the first 8 applicants.
The fee of $120 includes all workshop sessions on the dates listed above, and a professional demo recording of the composer’s piece performed by VICO musicians.
- Please submit payment via PayPal below. NOTE: you do not need to have (or create) a PayPal account; you can pay with a credit card as you would for any other online purchase.
- **IMPORTANT: once you have submitted payment via PayPal, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details:
- Your full name (if it is different than the one associated with the credit card you used for payment, please also provide the name on the credit card so that we can connect you with your payment)
- Contact info: e-mail and phone number
The compositions brought to the workshop sessions may be works in progress, but must not exceed 8 minutes in length. Composers are required to provide an electronic copy of the final score and parts ONE WEEK in advance of the workshop session at which they are to be performed. Hard copies of all parts and a minimum of two copies of the full score must be provided by the composer at the session. The score and parts need to be legible; the use of digital notation software is recommended but not required (in other words, the electronic copy could be a photograph or a scan of a handwritten score).
Link to filmed performances from our 2021 Sounds Global Composers’ Workshop: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOaMn4XOFNkCwCqv5xUZPMrqtA_46kYz4