- Music of the Whole World: free lecture-performance series presented at the Vancouver Public Library and other venues (see our Events page for details of upcoming presentations)
- Music of the Whole World: Junior Edition: “introduction to intercultural music” concerts for elementary school students
- Professional development workshops for established musicians and composers, on topics such as “Bridging the Aural-Written Divide”
- Sounds Global Composers’ Workshop for aspiring composers pursuing studies at the high school and post-secondary level
- The VICO Summer Academy (on hiatus for 2020 – stay tuned for info about 2021!)
UPCOMING PROGRAMS (2019/20 Season)
SOUNDS GLOBAL COMPOSERS’ WORKSHOPS
February – April 2020
These workshops are designed to introduce composers to traditional instruments from all over the world. Registered participants are encouraged to bring sketches of works in progress for these instruments, to be workshopped by VICO musicians over the course of 3 or 4 sessions. Some finished new works will then be performed at “Sounds Global in Concert” events during the VICO’s 2019/2020 season.
Details and registration information available now!
VICO SUMMER ACADEMY
The VICO Summer Academy is an innovative educational initiative that offers hands-on experience in creating and performing intercultural music, over the course of a 1-week intensive. Participants will have the opportunity to learn from and work alongside professional VICO musicians and composers, acquiring new knowledge about orchestration, instrumental techniques (in particular for traditional non-Western instruments that may be unfamiliar to them), improvisation, intercultural ensemble skills and rehearsal methodologies. The Academy is on hiatus for 2020 but will be back in 2021 – watch this space for details!