CALL FOR NEW BOARD MEMBERS: 2022-23
Position: DIRECTOR (Volunteer Board of Directors – Vancouver Inter-Cultural Orchestra Society)
Commitment: Approximately 6-10 hours/month
- Are you passionate about music, multiculturalism, or both?
- Are you interested in being involved behind the scenes with Canada’s first and only professional intercultural orchestra?
- Are you willing to help us take VICO to the next level?
In spite of the challenges posed to all performing arts organizations by the COVID-19 pandemic, the Vancouver Inter-Cultural Orchestra is in an exciting period of growth, with our programming garnering interest locally, nationally, and internationally. As we celebrate our 20th season in 2021-22, we are seeking new members for our volunteer Board of Directors.
About the VICO
With a roster that includes musicians and composers of Asian, Middle Eastern, North American & European backgrounds, the VICO brings together a truly diverse and inclusive group of artists and administrators who are not only talented in their own individual practice, but also creative, flexible and willing to work unusually hard at communicating equitably across cultural and stylistic differences. We are proud to have been described as “the United Nations of music” (CBC Radio), and “music that sounds like Vancouver looks” (The Georgia Straight).
About the Board
The Board is responsible for developing, implementing, and monitoring strategies and policies that support staff in meeting goals and delivering artistic and educational programming year-round. Board members also contribute by providing leadership to specific committees and/or activities (e.g. human resources & organization development, event planning/hosting, networking in all kinds of different communities, and more).
Experience and Qualifications Needed
Prior Board experience is an asset, but not a requirement. This year, we are specifically seeking new Directors with some or all of the following qualifications:
- Experience in Financial Management / Accounting, Human Resources, Law, Education (primary, secondary or post-secondary), or Arts Marketing
- Experience in team leadership and/or project management, ideally in the non-profit sector;
- Experience in, or an interest in getting involved directly with fundraising;
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational, and personal skills that embrace our diverse and inclusive environment.
However, the most important qualification is willingness to devote some time and energy to the VICO cause. We want our Board to encompass a diversity of voices, backgrounds and perspectives. If any of this sounds interesting to you, please don’t hesitate to get in touch via the contact info below. We will be very glad to discuss further and answer any questions you may have!
How to Apply: Please submit your resume with a letter outlining why you are interested and what skills you would bring to the VICO Board, to Melanie Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org, by March 31, 2022.