The VICO is hiring!
Are you a talented arts administrator and/or financial manager, looking to fill a gap in the jigsaw puzzle of your freelance professional life? The Vancouver Inter-Cultural Orchestra is hiring a part-time Finance & Operations Manager. We are a small organization, founded in 2001 and currently riding a wave of growing interest in our programming regionally, nationally and internationally. We are seeking a competent, creative administrator to help us manage our programming and develop our organizational infrastructure.
With a roster that includes musicians and composers of Asian, Middle Eastern, North American & European backgrounds, the VICO brings together a truly diverse group of artists and administrators who are not only talented in their own individual practice, but also creative, flexible and willing to work unusually hard at communicating across cultural and stylistic differences. We are proud to have been described as “the United Nations of music” (CBC Radio), and “music that sounds like Vancouver looks” (The Georgia Straight). We are looking for a like-minded individual to join our core administrative team
Hours & pay
- The Finance & Operations Manager will be hired as a contractor
- Average of 12 hours/week to start, with potential for more
Operations – collaboration with Board & senior staff in all areas of the organization:
- Project management & logistical support for artistic programming (e.g. artist contracting, venue booking)
- Calendar management & internal communications (e.g. scheduling & chairing team meetings)
- Administrative tasks related to Society (Annual reports, AGM), charitable status (Society tax return, tax receipting), and other needs (insurance, business license, archives)
- Attending board meetings and artistic team meetings as required
- Developing & monitoring annual operating budget in regular consultation with artistic team/project managers and Board Treasurer; providing regular financial updates to the Board (at least 3 times per year)
- Collaborating with artistic team on project budgets
- Supporting fundraising efforts (mostly in the grant planning and reporting stages; also CADAC data entry)
- Coordinating and monitoring accounts payable and accounts receivable, cash flow, banking, collecting paperwork for (and communicating with) off-site bookkeeper
- Managing the T4A process and producing CRA reports
- Coordinating annual review (or audit) with external accountants, preparing draft financial statements and schedules as needed
- Experience in non-profit/arts administration (society governance, charitable status and tax receipting requirements)
- Experience in financial management including accounts payable and accounts receivable, and drafting and monitoring budgets
- Experience with contemporary classical and/or world music will be an asset
- Experience with organizational development and/or strategic planning processes will be an asset
- Fluent in English (spoken and written); competency in languages other than English will be an asset
- Attention to detail; ability to process many different types of information, organize/prioritize, and maintain clear communication within the team about tasks and deadlines
- Facility with Word, Excel, SAGE50, QuickBooks
- Proficient with using e-mail, Dropbox, Google docs, Zoom & other online tools to collaborate & share information
- Comfortable working as part of a small virtual team that operates as a collective (i.e. more collaborative than hierarchical)
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter and resumé to Melanie Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: Finance & Operations Manager) by May 29, 2023 at 5 pm.
Short-listed candidates will be contacted to schedule in-person interviews in early June.