Are you a talented arts administrator, looking to fill a gap in the jigsaw puzzle of your freelance professional life? The VICO is hiring a part-time Operations Manager. We are a small organization in a period of exciting expansion, seeking a competent, creative administrator to help us develop our organizational infrastructure, so we can ride the waves of growing interest in our programming regionally, nationally and internationally.
With a roster that includes musicians and composers of Asian, Middle Eastern, North American & European backgrounds, the VICO brings together a truly diverse group of artists and administrators who are not only talented in their own individual practice, but also creative, flexible and willing to work unusually hard at communicating across cultural and stylistic differences. We are proud to have been described as “the United Nations of music” (CBC Radio), “a world music super-group” (the Vancouver Sun), and “music that sounds like Vancouver looks” (The Georgia Straight). We are looking for a like-minded individual to join our core administrative team.
Hours & pay
- The Operations Manager will be hired as a contractor
- Average of 10 hours/week to start, with potential for more
Financial management is the primary focus of this position currently. Tasks include:
- Developing & monitoring annual operating budget in regular consultation with artistic team/project managers and Board Treasurer
- Collaborating with artistic team on project budgets
- Supporting fundraising efforts (mostly in the grant planning and reporting stages; also CADAC data entry)
- Coordinating and monitoring accounts payable and accounts receivable, banking, collecting paperwork for (and communicating with) off-site bookkeeper
- Administrative tasks related to Society (Annual reports, AGM), charitable status (Society tax return, tax receipting), and other needs (insurance, business license, archives)
Other tasks may include:
- Calendar management & internal communications
- Project management support for senior artistic staff
- Board engagement & volunteer coordination
- Experience in non-profit/arts administration with good knowledge of society governance, charitable status and tax receipting requirements
- Experience in financial management including accounts payable and accounts receivable, and drafting and monitoring budgets
- Comfortable working as part of a small virtual team that operates as a collective (i.e. more collaborative than hierarchical)
- Proficient with using e-mail, Dropbox, Google docs, Skype & other online tools to collaborate & share information
- Experience in the worlds of contemporary classical and/or world music will be an asset
- Fluent in English (spoken and written); competency in languages other than English will be an asset
- Attention to detail; ability to process many different types of information, organize/prioritize, and maintain clear communication within the team about tasks and deadlines
- Facility with Word, Excel, SAGE50 & online tools mentioned above
- Strong writing/editing skills in English will be an asset
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter and resumé to Melanie Thompson at email@example.com (subject line: Operations Manager) by March 6, 2020.
Short-listed candidates will be contacted to schedule in-person interviews in mid-March.