The Vancouver Inter-Cultural Orchestra is pleased to announce a call for intercultural compositions in connection with our 2018 Global Soundscapes Festival. The Festival will celebrate the instruments and traditions of Azerbaijan and Iran, and explore the intersection of these with Canadian cultures in BC through the creation and performance of intercultural music. Composers are invited to submit chamber compositions within the following parameters:
- Length: max. 8 minutes
- Instrumentation: any subset of our resident ensemble (see below)
- Thematic connection to the Festival: featuring one of the Middle Eastern instruments available, and/or using compositional techniques and musical languages related to any of the different musics of the Araxes Basin region
Five pieces will be selected by our jury to receive a professional performance during the Festival, which will be held in Vancouver, BC at the Waterfront Theatre from June 18-28, 2018.
- Flutes (1 player)
- Classical Guitar
- Percussion (Marimba, 3 toms, 4 temple blocks; tam-tam; 3 gongs selected from the following pitches-G3, D4, A4; 2 cymbals and up to three small instruments in consultation with the player)
Visit http://vi-co.org/resources-study/instrument-corner/ for backgrounders on traditional instruments.
Rehearsals and performances will be held in Vancouver at the Waterfront Theatre from mid-June through the end of the Festival (June 27, 2018). Composers are strongly encouraged to participate actively in the rehearsal process.
Application Materials & Deadlines
Composers are asked to submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 25, 2018:
- Full name, address, e-mail, phone number & requested instrumentation
- PDF copy of score
- Notes on the composition (150 words)
- Short biography (150 words)
- Application fee: $25, payable via Paypal:
Selected composers will be notified by May 31; parts must be submitted by June 11, 2018.
The VICO extends heartfelt thanks to the following funders and partners whose generous contributions make our 2018 Global Soundscapes Festival possible: